Haptmarkt is the commercial centre of the ancient
city, site of the famous Christmas market (Christkindlmarkt) and the location of the elaborate Gothic church
Frauenkirche. The church's facade comprises the clockwork
mechanism designed by Mannleinlaufen. At mid-day every day the clock strikes and seven statues of princes
dance around Charles IV, accompanied by the music of a glockenspiel. The square is also the site of the
Goldener Brunnen, a splendid fountain built in 1396.